Wednesday, November 7, 2012

USA to Republicans: Get Over It

So I'm currently staying up waiting for the victory speech from Obama, and while I wait, I wanted to say something.

I'm not a staunch Democrat by any means. I'm very much socially liberal, but that's pretty much the only aspect that I'm definitely hard-liberal on. On my ballot today, I voted for Democrats, a Libertarian, and even a Republican (he was running unopposed, but still).

I'm getting the impression that the Republicans are blaming Romney for his loss in this campaign.

Sorry guys, but it wasn't his fault. It was your fault.

Even if Romney was not the right guy to nominate, he only got the nomination because literally every other potential nominee was either crazy or stupid. Why? Because your party has decided to be universally outspoken on social issues and that has been what has driven this country apart.

I'm just going to say this now. If you want to win my vote... if you want to win ANY votes you aren't already getting... you have to stop fighting for the social issues.

I'm not saying you have to change sides. I'm not saying you have to start supporting abortion or gay marriage or whatever, but you do have to stop making these issues part of your platforms. You have to stop fighting for them. America is no longer overwhelmingly white, male, straight, and Christian. Especially now that Puerto Rico might actually be our 51st state, you can't keep going like this. You just can't.

You want to win? Just focus on practical issues. Propose budget legislation that works. Propose revisions for Obamacare now that it definitely will not be repealed. Stop making public statements about "traditional Christian values" or whatever you think will win you those rural votes that clearly aren't enough anymore.

If you let the Democrats win the social issues, then the battle becomes much simpler. Right now a ton of people are voting for Democrats specifically because they believe that the Republicans want to roll us back to the social dynamics of the early 20th century. If you say that you're going to stop fighting against social progressives, you'll actually have a serious chance.

Gay marriage is going to be a thing now. Roe v. Wade is not going to be overturned (seriously, how many decades has it been?). People of color are not going to go back to being marginalized and disenfranchised.

And you know what? Get over it. We have bigger issues that are worthy of bipartisan discussion. If you genuinely want to get back to being the party of fiscal responsibility, then stop being the party you currently are.

OK, speech time. Good night and good luck.

2 comments:

  1. Pat I think, you actually nailed what my issues with the republicans are as well. I mean, they also proposed a crap financial plan but when they stert yelling about anti-gay, anti-abortion issues they just come off as preachy old white men who don't understand how the world IS anymore and I just don't trust that.

    I just hope that they grow up and stop just filibustering everything because it was a democrate tht came up with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this. I was subjected to 1.5 hours of my family explaining why they were upset with how I chose to vote, and I finally said to them that at this point in my life, I am much more concerned about social issues than with anything else in politics. They still didn't understand, and they probably think I'm a sheeple, but... Honestly? I'm proud of them for not screaming or insulting me.

    ReplyDelete